- Guided by aboriginal people, Champlain trekked up the Ottawa River
- Into the area now known as the “Whitewater Region” (I’ve kayaked the Ottawa in this area)
- Portaging across the neck to (what is now) Mud Lake to avoid a series of challenging waterfalls
- And then, allegedly lost his Astrolabe along what is now called Buttermilk Creek, which drains Astrolabe Lake (formerly Green Lake)
- I’ve noticed what appears to be an anomaly in the data, so will be investigating this
Read Douglas Hunter’s report on the provenance of the Astrolabe.